Tuesday 21 September 2010

I am becoming a Spiritual Warrior

Dalai Lama:

As long as we observe love for others and respect for their rights and dignity in our daily lives, then whether we are learned or unlearned, whether we believe in the Buddha or God, follow some religion or none at all, as long as we have compassion for others and conduct ourselves with restraint out of a sense of responsibility, there is no doubt we will be happy.

The above statement is one of many I connected with during my research... Today, this is why I’m here...

I have been poorly for a while. Please don’t worry, it’s not life threatening. I share this because it’s totally significant for the many, many reasons I chose my current path which I curiously tread on my journey.

I knew it was time I followed my intuition... unfortunately this is something I’ve been ignoring for as long as I care to remember. The reason for my ignorance may become evident as my writing progresses. In addition, it’s important to point out even at this early stage, ignorance is an affliction we’ve all experienced one way or another.

I won’t go into detail now but I think it’s worth saying, for those of you who know me or are familiar with my writing... you may have an inkling of where I’ve come from. Further more if you’re also familiar with my personality then you’ll probably understand my interest in anything spiritual, especially spiritual awakening.

Being poorly gives you time to think... I decided I wanted to be a better person so I started to do some research. Initially this involved wanting to learn how to meditate... this skill then introduced me to many thoughts, ideas and teachings globally. I ended up becoming overwhelmed with all the information out there. However, I still feel it’s important to take my time and research. I would like to listen to everybody as well as read words, wisdom and ultimately connect.

There are seven principles to spirituality and it’s said that all the principles are important as they are all part of the jigsaw of life. Each principle supports the other and gives you the full picture. Below I have inserted the link for those interested to view...

http://www.pathwaytospirit.co.uk/7-principles-of-spiritualism.htm

Very early on in my research, I quickly saw that Patience is one of the most important qualities we need to possess. During my illness I’ve read many words and watched countless videos on teachings. It’s clearly evident this quality is something that's important to help aid us in our work with others. In addition I learned that being patient means we remain firm, even if we are afraid. What’s more I surprisingly discovered, it is impatient people we learn from... It’s when they choose to show anger displaying their own insecurities; when we especially benefit. We must remain calm. Patience is a way of life; don’t get angry if provoked... Be the teacher. So, instead of feeling angry (even if we have reason) turn the other cheek and bless them.

I recently used this new skill and the wonderful sense of peace I felt was indescribable. I have discovered it really is better to feel for the person in crisis and think positive thoughts about them. Above all do not stress, remain calm and relaxed... I am finding it works. Embrace positive energy. Release the negative. I've also learned an individual who loses it may be physically weak because they are out of control... what causes a person to be out of control? The main culprit appears to be STRESS, Insecurities... it causes all sorts of problems. We all know being around someone who is constantly stressing, screaming, shouting, accusing and controlling. It's not only spiritually damaging it has an impact on daily life...but, it's up to the individual to sort it out... Life is too short, loved ones are so precious; we owe it to them to be whole.

It’s crucial we develop an attitude whereby, we see opportunities for others to benefit which is so much better than just looking out for ourselves. When patience is developed a reserve of calm is found. We are much more pleasant to be around. This helps to create a more positive family life including world around us. I am finding by practising, it helps me to relate with others in a much better way. Personally, I feel I’m more emotionally grounded. With this wonderful new knowledge I’m happy to report I feel a stronger sense of security.

I’ve come to realise in spiritual practice one must refrain from falsehood and live by truth... never mock others, always being humble and truly wanting to help with compassion and a love for others, knowing they have rights and dignity and the important thing here is that it doesn’t matter who, what or where...

I interestingly read and immediately identified with the ‘Dalai Lama’ who implied it is our own experience of suffering which will remind us of what everyone endures. I know this to be true and I strongly feel my inspiration derived from this knowledge may give me extra insight to practice compassion always knowing I will avoid causing others pain.

Everyone wants to be happy just as I do, it reminds me not to be selfish. I realise there is little to be gained from being kind, generous and loving, in the hope I win something in return... I realise actions like these are wrong and I know there is nothing to be gained by this. Also, I see that it’s important to develop a genuine compassion for loved ones. I know this is an appropriate place to start in my spiritual practice. From the teachings, I see the impact of my actions will do loved ones a greater good. But, I also see there should be no discrimination. It is this I wish to work on, which means using compassion and wisdom in a way of learning to help others also for the greater good.

I am learning the mind and body is susceptible to being harmed by negative thoughts and emotions. It doesn’t take long to understand our enemies are not external, they are mental afflictions (as taught by Lama Marut) and it is these mental afflictions that kill happiness. Positivity can, does, and will protect it.

All I have discussed definitely needs consistent practice, along with mediation and exploration of teachings and of course, a never ending interest in other people’s views and perspectives. I’m warmly finding, I feel stronger mentally and spiritually which I hope and pray leads to a physically healthier me.

There is much to talk about on this journey of mine and in sharing findings as well as thoughts; I sense it will help interesting information soak in much quicker knowing I am spreading news by keeping you posted... As I have always said, the world is a beautiful place the people are wonderful... even those that are sadly damaged... it is up to us to take care of them and although it's also been said that one should not boast about good deeds done or otherwise, there is a particular homeless person who I want to be the next beneficiary from my practice because for me that's also important on this journey... It's no secret I've always wanted to make a difference in the world, its well documented in my writing but, but, but... the difference now is that I've discovered if you want to change the world you have to change yourself...

An Angel Warrior on a spiritual mission...

No comments:

Post a Comment